In 1923, the Methodist congregation of the Pflugerville community awarded the contract for construction of a church building at a cost of $2,500. The first services were held on April 23, 1923. The congregation disbanded in November 1966 and a fire destroyed the church in 1971.
In February 1983 a gathering was held to see if there was an interest in starting a new United Methodist Church in Pflugerville. On March 6, 1983 the first worship service was held, using the Anglican Church, a location which was too small the very first Sunday. The part-time pastor preached his first service on Easter Sunday, 1983. The congregation began meeting at the Pflugerville Fire Hall. Sometimes adult classes met next door in Marshall’s Tavern. In May 1983, the church was issued a Certificate of Organization by the Southwest Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church.
After outgrowing the fire hall with an average Sunday worship of 85 people, it was time to look for a permanent home. The church purchased 5 acres of land owned by the Pfluger family. Members cleared the land, mowed, trimmed and held open-air worship where the Family Life Center building sits today. Once the concrete was poured and the steel girders were in place, the congregation went to work building classrooms, offices, and stairways. The first worship service in the new building was held on June 1, 1984.
Twelve years later, the Sunday School classes were bulging at the seams. A committee formed to discuss more space, at first imagining a small four-classroom building. However, the group realized the church needed much more space, finally deciding on a 6000 sq. ft. educational building with sixteen classrooms and offices. Ground was broken in July 1997 and completed March 1998.
While the building the new educational facility was still in progress, two acres directly to the east of the church went up for bid by the City of Pflugerville. The church members immediately agreed to place a bid and the property is now owned by FUMC. In the spring of 2001, the education building mortgage was paid in full. As that obligation was paid off, the church started a Capital Fund Drive to build a formal sanctuary. Close to $850K was pledged toward the total cost of $1.4M needed to build the 400 seat facility (with the capacity to expand to 750 seats). The groundbreaking ceremony was held January 21, 2001 and the first service in this new church home was held April 21, 2002. The old sanctuary now serves as the Family Life Center.
In the fall of 2006, 4.5 acres of land (the old Cotton Gin site) became available for purchase. After 3 generous monetary gifts and a called church conference, the congregation unanimously voted to purchase the property. FUMC is growing in membership and land, and now has 11.5 acres for spreading the word of Christ.
Thanks to the generous pledges the congregation and the Pecan Street Christian School the church opened our New Christian Education Center in June 2010. Due to the economy we were only able to complete the bottom floor for children’s Sunday School classes and the Pecan Street Christian School. Improvements were made to the Family Life Center “Attic”, where our youth group meets and we expanded the church office.
From the very beginning, FUMC Pflugerville has been a warm and caring family congregation, working together as a community of faith.